08 July, 2009

Healthy Chocolate Fondue is what's cooking!

I put this picture first for a reason!
If I had put this one first would you really want to try out this chocolate fondue recipe?
I did not think so.
I was inspired by the Jessica Seinfeld book Deceptively Delicious.
Jessica's recipe:
1 Tablespoon margarine
1/2 cup avocado puree
1/4 cup carrot puree
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Jenna's Healthy Chocolate Fondue
2 bars of Lindt Chocolate (we prefer 50 - 60%)
2 Tablespoons butter or coconut oil
1/2 cup avocado puree
1/4 cup sweet potato puree
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine purees with butter or oil. If making your purees fresh, put puree through sieve to get out major chunks. In a saucepan - double boiler - melt the chocolate, when chocolate is completely melted mix with puree mixture and then add then powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined and smooth-ish. Serve warm with fruit, graham crackers, pretzels, marshmallows, etc.

~ note, When you have Lindt Chocolate why would you use cocoa powder? That is another reason why I was inspired by Jessica's recipe but altered it. That and I don't use margarine, EVER. And I am trying to scale down the sugar intake at this house. I used half as much powdered sugar because the chocolate already has sugar in it - add more sugar to your family's taste. I used sweet potatoes instead of carrots because that is what I already had pureed. It turned out great and no one ever guessed it was full of good stuff.

Just an idea of what your fruit platter can look like. . .
. . . and what it might look like after a 2 year old eats and devours her fondue.

En Guete! - Jenna

3 comments:

Julie Ramsay said...

Wow! I am in shock! Let me digest this for a moment... You are so brave and creative in your cooking! I love it!

likeschocolate said...

If the kids liked it, It must be really good. I will have to try this one.

Meg said...

Looks AMAZING! I am so trying this!