19 August, 2009

Steel Cut Oats are what's cooking!

My favorite, healthy, really easy, breakfast for me and the girls is you guessed it . . . oatmeal. Here in Zürich I find steel cut oats in a teal bag by the name of porridge. My husband (the engineer) eats breakfast at work, he does enjoy a good bowl of oatmeal every now and then, maybe on a Holiday?

I start the oatmeal as soon as I wake up and it is done about 35 minutes later.

photo - courtesy of nienie

I make oatmeal 5 days a week - Monday through Friday.

Rarely, I will hear, "oatmeal?, I did not want oatmeal for breakfast!"

I nicely reply, "would you like walnuts, bananas, blueberries or maple syrup on top of yours?"

or "did you want your smoothie or your oatmeal first?"

Easy Oatmeal

1/2 cup steel cut oats

1 1/2 cup water (I tried 1 cup water and 1/2 cup apple juice - I thought it was fabulous, the girls hated it, just try it once)
dash of salt

Put all three ingredients in a medium saucepan. Turn stove to high and bring to boil. Once oatmeal comes to a rolling boil, put lid on and turn the heat to low for 10 minutes. After timer goes off, turn off the stove and leave the pan where it is with the lid still on.

Set the timer for 20 more minutes. After your 2nd timer beeps, stir and ENJOY! This makes enough for two small portions for the girls and a good size portion for me.

Some toppings that would be healthy and yummy:

Maple syrup - usually this is all my girls eat on theirs.

Fresh Blueberries
Fresh Raspberries
Sliced Bananas
Chopped Walnuts
Chopped Almonds
Ground Flax Seeds
Flax oil drizzled a bit
Honey
Cinnamon

* I took nienie's recipe for oatmeal and revised it. I like the proportions of water to oatmeal - it tastes really creamy.

En Guete! - Jenna

1 comment:

Carrie said...

thanks for your comment..I really appreciate the prayers:)

love this blog! Our food tastes/healthy goals are very similar. I really don't like oatmeal, but steel cut oats rock!